Saturday, February 6, 2010

#5 Learning Styles (freewrite, 10 minutes)

The learning style survey told me that I was very Intrapersonal. When I was reading the "Know Your Learning Style" article, I felt that I was a Bodily-Kinesthetic learner. All of the bullets under this learning style really explain who I am as a person. I am very athletic and coordinated, I excel at sports and I hate to sit for more then ten minutes at a time. I hate just reading about things; I need to physcially do it to learn. My major has a lot of labs in it so hands on experiences are always happening. We have multiple clinical rotations as well. These really help me learn and I make the best of each clincial rotation that I have.

As I was growing up and in elementary school, middle, and high school, I always found it very difficult to concentrate. I was always moving around because I could not stay comfortable for more then a couple minutes. I played three sports and was always thinking about that days game or practice. I did not really care about school, but knew that I had to do good in order to keep my parents happy and play sports. As you progress through school, teachers tend to lean away from hands on learning because we are getting older and can read more proficiently. I hated this and found it very hard to learn. I would have to go home and study and try to physically do what I was learning. My friends would get together and we would play jeopardy or similar games to learn the material. It was fun and at the same time we were learning.

Knowing your personal learning style is important because even if the teacher does not do the specific learning style you need, you can do it on your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment